Udaipur - Get off the golden triangle
Udaipur is a fascinating and laid back city off the well trodden path of the golden triangle made up of Delhi, Jaipur and Agra. Get this city of your itinerary. It has some of the best hotels in India and worth splurging for.
Why go to Udaipur
Udaipur is a city in the western Indian state of Rajasthan. I It was founded by Maharana Udai Singh II in 1559 of the house Mewar. The city of Udaipur is set around a series of artificial lakes and is known for its lavish royal residences.
The City Palace, overlooking Lake Pichola, is a monumental complex of 11 palaces, courtyards and gardens, famed for its intricate peacock mosaics.
What to see in Udaipur
- See the City Palace including the crystal collection.
- The Chowpatty market to see where locals hang out
- Eat the unbelievable “Butter Sandwich” at the first stall in the chowpatty market
- Book a dinner at Jag mandir or the Taj Lake Palace hotel to see the city light in the evening
- Book early to see the evening performance Bagore ki Haveli
See Saheliyon-ki-Baari: A regal garden with fountains & landscaped grounds, marble elephants, etc.
- Go up to the Monsoon palace to get a panoramic view of the city
- Karni Mata Mandir – A hindu temple reached by a ropeway is a nice place to see the sunset in Udaipur.
The butter sandwich in Udaipur
Where to stay in Udaipur
Stay at one of three places
- The Lake Palace Hotel
- The Leela Palace
- The Oberoi Amarvilas
Here are some pictures of the Leela Palace and the Taj Lake Palace hotel